Join science educator and passionate bird watcher Jason Hall for a friendly, all-ages bird watching walk around Fairmount Park and FDR Park. Jason (aka: The Birding Beardsman @birdingbeardsmn ) is a scientist, photographer, animal lover, and community activist who is passionate about sharing the wonders of nature here in Philadelphia with others. Jason is the founder of In Color Birding Club, an organization founded in 2021 to make the birding experience a positive one for BIPOC folks and their allies.
We'll explore Lansdowne Glen and Trolley Trail (West Park), The Discovery Center (East Park), FDR Park lakes and wetlands, and many other interesting spots for spotting flying friends. These natural areas and bodies of water serve as "rest stops" on the highway for the migration of many spectacular species, so you'll be delighted by the diversity of winged creatures hidden in plain sight! Jason will guide our eyes and ears. You can also bring your own bird book or download an identification app such as Merlin.
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can - $10, $15, or $20
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Tour starts at 8 am sharp.
- BYOB - as in, please bring your own binoculars. If you don't have any, we will have a limited number of binoculars to borrow
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 6 & up. Minors must be ticketed and accompanied by an adult.
- Dress according to weather conditions.
- Bring your own water and snacks. (drinking water is not available in the park)
- There are nearby bathrooms (porta-potties)
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event will be capped. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
POSTPONEMENT / CANCELLATION POLICY: This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be cancelled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.
GUIDE BIO: Jason Hall is a scientist and community-based science educator, photographer, #BlackBirder, dog lover, LGBTQ+ ally, political junky, and mixed family advocate. Jason is the founder of In Color Birding Club, an organization founded in 2021 to make the birding experience a positive one for BIPOC folks and their allies. He also has side business Waxwing Photography, which Jason calls "Philantography" since he donated profits from photography jobs to support pet shelters and pet foster programs across southeastern Pennsylvania. Follow Jason at @birdingbeardsmn and In Color Birding at: www.incolorbirding.org