Take a TREE-mendous tour of our park's biggest and most abundant assets!
HIKE (2:30-5:00 pm)
Did you know that there are over 100 species of trees in the Fairmount Park system? Let's take a hike to meet a few! Join arborist Dan O'Donnell, aka: "Dan the Tree Man" for a tree huggers hike through the Trolley Trail in West Park. On this hike, we'll learn to identify trees usually found in Philly's urban forest from the leaves, the bark. We'll take time to observe the body language of trees - why they grow the way they grow, and what we can learn about the life of the forest. And we'll pepper our conversation with tree trivia related to history, culture, economy and uses. The first step towards stewardship is learning the name of what you care for. You'll finish the tour a bit more empowered to care about Philly's trees.
POST HIKE PARTY (5:00-5:30 pm)
At the end of the hike, we’ll gather for a fireside chat with Dan and the group. We'll have cider, S'mores, and other snacks. This is your chance to build communi-tree with other nature lovers and ask Dan some final questions. Who knows… you might even stump the expert! (Hardy har!)
Estimated distance: 3 miles
Level: moderate to difficult. Some hiking experience recommended
Terrain: hilly dirt trails
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can:
$15, $20, or $25
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 12 & up. Minors must be ticketed and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park)
- There are bathrooms available at the beginning and end of the hike if absolutely necessary
- PARKING: there is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
IMPORTANT: we will leave promptly at scheduled time. Please arrive at the departure location at least 5 minutes early. Latecomers may not be able to join after the group has departed.
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event will be capped. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
POSTPONEMENT / CANCELLATION POLICY: In case of inclement weather, event will be cancelled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.
GUIDE BIO: Dan is a certified arborist and Environmentalist with 49 years experience working with trees. He started his career as tree surgeon. After being mentored by Dr. Alex Shigo, a renowned plant pathologist with the United States Forest Service, Dan shifted his focus to becoming an arborist. He received his Arborist certification from the International Society of Arboriculture and has been a lifelong member of the ISA and one of the founding members of the Penn-Del Chapter. Dan is open about the grave environmental threats that are impacting tree populations, but he still keeps a positive spirit. As Dan says, "When I wake up and watch the sun rise through white oaks and beeches, I know we’re lucky to be here."