If you have ever thought about picking up a skateboard, either again or for the first time, this adult beginner one-hour workshop is for you! Stepping on a board can be very intimidating, especially in a skating mecca like FDR Park. But no fear! Our friends at Skate the Foundry are here to help you find the confidence to hit the streets!
Participants will learn fundamental skateboard skills, how to balance, and proper body coordination. Throughout the clinic, skaters will also explore creativity, teamwork, while developing their physical and mental strength. Additionally, they will learn how to get on/off a board safely, how to push and go down a small ramp.
PLEASE NOTE: The class is held away from seasoned skaters on the flat asphalt next to, but NOT in the main skatepark. You will not skate in highly challenging areas such as FDR's infamous bowls. But we hope you'll gain the confidence to get there one day!
Classes taught by 2 experienced and encouraging instructors from the Skate the Foundry, Philly's premiere skateboarding school!
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can - $20, $25, or $30
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- All participants must be 18+. Parents looking for children’s / teens skateboarding classes should visit www.skatethefoundry.com
- A signed waiver is necessary in order to participate. To save time, we ask that you complete it online prior to arriving: https://www.skatethefoundry.com/skate-waiver-fdr-skateboarding-101/
-Boards and safety gear are provided. However, if you have your own board or a helmet, you can use it! Bike helmets are fine, but NO penny boards or longboards are allowed.
-Bring plenty of water and a snack
-There are nearby bathrooms (port-a-potties)
-Wear loose clothing Wear comfortable sneakers. Open toe footwear is not allowed (including sandals, flip-flops, heels, etc.)
-No food, drinks, or chewing gum allowed while skateboarding
PARKING: there is plenty of free parking in that park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event.
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you're in proximity to others.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
POSTPONEMENT/CANCELLATION POLICY: This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be cancelled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.