Join us for an inclusive birding event that celebrates diversity & "Birdability"!
Birders seek out diversity in birds, looking for an array of colors, sizes, ages, origins, etc. Thankfully, there’s a movement underway among birders to similarly celebrate diversity in our fellow humans!
We’re thrilled to partner with In Color Birding Club, Philly Queer Birders, and Feminist Bird Club Philly to present a special morning of birding that is intentionally accessible and welcoming to BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and disabled people!
- This event is FREE, but we do ask that you RSVP so we can send info & email updates.
- All are welcome! We encourage people with all skill levels to attend (even if you have never been birding!)
- If you have an accessibility question, request, or need, please email John Sigmund at [email protected]
You’re welcome to show up at any time between 8am-11am and stay for as long or as short as you want. We'll have a few light snacks and encourage people to bring outside chairs, picnic blankets, or anything that will make you comfortable spending a morning birding in one location (rather than walking). We'll have name tags where you can also write your name and pronouns if you want, so you can easily meet other birding friends. After all, birds of a feather flock together!
WHAT’S A “LITTLE SIT”?
The Little Sit is our answer to a typically day-long, stationary birding event called a "big sit," where groups try to see as many birds in one location as possible. For reference: https://www.thebigsit.org/ It’s also a departure from our normal format of taking a “bird walk” or even a “bird hike” that covers a lot of terrain, with us going to the birds. With the Little Sit, we find a stationary position and let the birds come to us!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Plenty of parking (including handicapped spaces) is available in the large lot marked on this map
- PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: SEPTA Bus 38 (in both directions) drops off at Belmont Ave. near the Horticulture Center, marked on this map
- There are nearby ADA accessible bathrooms inside the Greenhouse. Enter via ramp on the parking lot side of the building, marked on this map
- Come anytime between 8-11
- BYOB - as in, please bring your own binoculars. If you don't have any, no problem! We will have about 35 pairs of binoculars to borrow!
- You can also bring your own bird book or download an identification app such as Merlin
- Appropriate for all, including families with children! Minors must be accompanied by a guardian.
- Friendly dogs on a leash are welcome
- this is a fully outdoors event-please dress according to weather conditions
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- Please bring a mask in case you're in close proximity to others outdoors. We will also have extra masks to hand out.
- The grounds allow for plenty of space to spread out. Participants are asked to respect other individual's space
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
POSTPONEMENT / CANCELLATION POLICY: This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be cancelled
ABOUT ICBC: In Color Birding Club, an organization founded in 2021 to make the birding experience a positive one for BIPOC folks and their allies. This includes: organizing inclusive events, giving back to underserved communities of color, and inspiring youth.