Why sleigh when you can cycle?!
Put on your festive winter gear, get your wheels spinning, and cycle the season with a special holiday themed bike tour of East Fairmount Park! Public Program Manager John Sigmund will lead the group on an all-levels bike ride highlighting history, hidden gems, and the stories of interesting places in the park, with an emphasis on holiday related topics. Don’t waste a Saturday shopping when you can slay your way through the park!
The Joy Ride includes:
- A guided 6-7 mile tour, which includes scenic views and attractions of historic East Fairmount Park.
- Stops for short mini-tours of holiday decor at Historic Strawberry Mansion, Woodford Mansion, Laurel Hill Mansion, and Ormiston Mansion, ending at the Philly Christmas Trees market at Lemon Hill Mansion.
- Complimentary hoilday garb, sleigh bells, and tinsel for your bike. Arrive at 9:30 to dress up and deocrate : )
- Complimentary pre-ride coffee at Cosmic Café and post-ride treats and hot chocolate at Lemon Hill tree market
PLEASE NOTE: we will take short tours (about 15 minutes) at each historic house. If you wish to enjoy a longer, more relaxed tour, we suggest visiting the houses on your own in December. More info on “Holidays in the Park“ at the Historic Houses here.
The Joy Ride starts at Lloyd Hall’s Cosmic Cafe (at Boathouse Row) and ends at Lemon Hill Mansion (which is essentially across the street and up a hill). We encrouage you to stay at Lemon Hill after the tour the Philly Christmas Trees holiday market
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can - $20, $25, or $30
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- This event is BYOB ... as in, bring your own bike (and helmet!). No bike? No problem! Visit nearby Fairmount Bicycles, who offer half-day rentals.
- most of the ride is flat, however there will be some hilly sections
- Everyone must weat a helmet at all times when in motion. Riders who arrive wiout a helmet will not be permitted to join the tour
- Appropriate for Adults and families with children ages 14 & up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions. Please layer up and remember to wear gloves!
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park)
- There are nearby bathrooms available before or after the tour
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event will be capped. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
POSTPONEMENT / CANCELLATION POLICY: Light rain or shine. Rescheduled on Sunday December 11 in the case of severe weather
GUIDE BIO: Read more about your guide John Sigmund here